On December 3rd, in celebration of the UN International Day of Persons with Disability, there was the launching of the International Perspectives on Spinal Cord Injury (IPSCI), a joint publication of WHO and the International Spinal Cord Society (ISCoS)!!
IPSCI is the BEST available scientific evidence on SCI and is in the WHO homepage: Click Details
It can be downloaded for free at WHO website: Click Details
Relevant findings about SCI:
1. SCI affects 250,000 to 500,000 people per year (1 person every 1-2 minutes)
2. Global incidence 40-80 cases / million population
3. SCI is preventable, survivable and liveble!
4. 40% of costs are taken by patients
5. 60% unemployment rate
6. lower education participation
7. High cost to health care compared to other conditions such as MS, dementia,CP and depression
8. Comorbidities: 20-30% depression, 2-5x increased risk for death as non SCI people